As a volunteer in CHF’s teaching programme, you will be assigned to one or more local schools where you can use your expertise to improve the education of Ghanaian children. You may choose any age of children, including primary school, junior high or high school and request specific subjects depending on your knowledge or interests. Past volunteers have even taught physical education in addition to coaching the local football (soccer) teams after school. Feel free to request a subject not listed on the Education Standards Project page and CHF will do our best to find a school that needs a teacher for that subject.Volunteers and interns interested in teaching should note that teaching placements are normally based on the school year calendar in Ghana. CHF can place teachers within the following terms:
- Early September – Mid-December (1st school term)
- Early January – Mid-April (2nd school term)
- Early May – Mid-August (3rd school term)
Please note that each school has relative freedom to decide on calendar modifications and holiday periods, so these dates are quite flexible and we could accommodate you almost any time of the year. If you are staying for more than one term, you are welcome to keep your room in the volunteer house or your host family.
Requirements for Education Standards Volunteer:
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Teachers must have, or working towards, a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably a degree in education or a field related to the area of specialization.
- The creativity and initiative to lead classes with limited resources
- Enthusiasm to inspire children to set and achieve ambitious goals